For the most recent news and updates, follow us on Twitter (@cris_uncecon).
- As part of the DATA certificate program within the economics department, CRIS will bring in speakers from Cox Communications (Philip Nutsugah and Christian Welin) and Volatility Protocol (Wade Kimbrough) to speak to majors about applications of data science in economics.
- The 5th annual Triangle Microeconomics Conference (past speakers) is scheduled for April 1st and 2nd of 2022.
- As part of the DATA certificate program within the economics department, CRIS has brought in speakers from Zillow (Stella McMullen), WestJet (James Cardiff and Yanick Lacroix Torrent), and AirBnB (Nickolai Riabov) to speak to majors about applications of data science in economics.
- In 2021, Garrett Scott, Haoran Zhang, and Alex Marsh were awarded CRIS collaborative summer fellowships to research screening policies of airlines, demand for mobile telecom services, and airline upgrade auctions, respectively.
- Jonathan Williams and Xiaowei Yang (Duke Computer Science) were awarded an NSF grant to improve performance in telecommunications networks (read more).
- Garrett Scott and Haoran Zhang were awarded CRIS collaborative summer fellowships to research screening policies of airlines and COVID19’s effect on demand for telecom services, respectively.
- Triangle Microeconomics Conference (past speakers) has been cancelled due to travel restrictions resulting from the COVID-19 outbreak. Once the event is rescheduled, we will announce details of the timing and program.
- Luca Maini‘s work on reference pricing is influencing discussions around healthcare reform focused on the pharmaceutical industry (read more).
- T-Mobile/Sprint Merger: T-Mobile Response uses methodology from “Usage-Based Pricing and Demand for Residential Broadband” by Aviv Nevo, John Turner, and Jonathan Williams
- Brian McManus and Jonathan Williams receive NSF grant to study net neutrality (read more).
- CRIS hosts Amazon Chief Economist, Pat Bajari, and data-science staff for discussion of the crucial role of data at Amazon.
- Paige Weber (Yale PhD) will be joining the economics faculty in Fall of 2020 after a postdoc at UC-Santa Barbara. Her research focuses on energy and electricity markets, climate change policy, and local impacts of environmental regulation.
- 4th Triangle IO Conf. w/ Duke Economics and Kenan Flagler is April 5/6. Program includes: Laura Doval, Ben Handel, Alessandro Pavan, JP Dube, Simon Board, Natalie Cox, Robin Lee, Jidong Zhou, John Asker, Marina Halac.
- Chief Strategy Officer at WestJet, Charles Duncan, will speak from 1230-145pm on 10/11 in Coker Hall #201, on how his UNC economics degree helps him keep ahead of the competition in the airline industry.
- CRIS-sponsored talk by Amazon’s chief economist, Pat Bajari, and director of AI software development, Ed Banti, on 10/25 at 3:30pm in Carroll Hall #111.